Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Defining the undefined-The sight of flirtation


The chairs were kept upside down on the tables, locked in a tight embrace. It signalled the end of a lunch-hour at the office cafeteria. I ran to grab the last bite. “Leftovers, ” I rued as I picked up my food and headed to the corner table with a view. “He must have eaten and headed back to his desk,” I mulled.

My newfound lunchtime visual relief was nowhere to be seen. I had spotted him during one of my lunch breaks at the cafeteria, the hunting ground for cute guys. Long hair tied into a neat ponytail. Extremely well turned out in a business suit, scorching the women around him. “Is he a rock star turned corporate whiz?” I had wondered, while checking him out from the corner of my eye.

As I sat, debating on what food should go in first, my eyes caught a distraction at the food counter. They may have lit up too, for there he was, debating over leftover lunch like me, some minutes ago. “Hmmm, nice backside I thought,” as I chewed the food and checked him out. His bottom must have felt the heat of my gaze. He looked over his shoulder, on the pretext of locating a suitable spot to gulp his afternoon grub. His eyes lingered on my table for a split microsecond. “Ah he sees me!” I gloated. He turned his head back to the food counter, long tresses in tow. His hair was longer than mine, I noticed. The image of grabbing his hair, while kissing him passionately flashed in my mind.

The almost empty food counter had hardly anything to offer to Mr. Hot Ponytail. In-between scraping food, he squirmed under my roving eyes. He looked again towards my table. Our eyes met. I worshipped him with a cocky smile. He smiled back shyly, blushing like a girl. His hands slid over to his backside. They rested on top of the bulge of his wallet, tucked away in the back pocket of his trouser. He yanked it out clumsily. The nervous quiver of his hand dropped it on the floor. While he bent to pick it up, my gaze X-rayed him. Twitching and fighting his self-consciousness, he looked at me, eyes twinkling. They seemed to ask if I liked what I saw. My goofy smile and tilted head answered him in an affirmative.

I fiddled with my hair and checked myself slyly on the gleaming tabletop. Food tray in hand, Mr. Hot Ponytail strode towards my table. My eyes greeted him with anticipation. Our faces now dripped with the ‘I-want-to-know-you-better’ look. The curtain raiser to our coffee date had kicked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment